Building Toward Personal Freedom
"No good thing does He (God) withhold from those whose walk is blameless." - Psalm 84:11 (NKJV)
Q: Do you believe that God desires good things for you?
When gaining freedom from addiction and bondage, men will often think of the things
they cannot do, all while losing sight of the things they are called to do and be.
Q: What kind of person do you feel you are called to be?
Often our passions will determine our calling in life.
Q: What are you passionate about in life?
Q: How much time and energy do you give to your passion in life?
Freedom from pornography is liberating and gives energy to your passions and goals in life.
“Therefore having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all
filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God." - 2 Corinthians 7:1 (NKJV)
In an article from Focusonthefamily.com
Pornography Effects on the Family:
- Increased marital distress and the risk of separation and divorce.
- Decreased marital intimacy and sexual satisfaction.
- An increased appetite for more graphic types of pornography and sexual activity
associated with abusive, illegal or unsafe practices.
- Devaluation of monogamy, marriage and child rearing.
- Increased number of people struggling with compulsive and addictive sexual
Pornography consumption can cause job loss, financial strain, and decreased parental time
Pornography is NOT harmless adult entertainment.
Here are two tools to begin building toward your personal freedom.
Gain Proper Fear.
Our first tool is the gaining of proper fear.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." - Proverbs 9:10 (NKJV)
The fear of God is to have respect and honor for His presence and Word in every area of our lives.
Does God have influence in:
- The movies you watch? Are they filled with sexual images and degrading
verbiage toward women? Are the movies you watch feeding thoughts and
fantasies? Do you need to get rid of any movies that are producing ungodly
results in your life?
"I will set nothing wicked before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; It shall not cling to me." - Psalm 101:3 (NKJV)
- Your internet browser history? What if our spouses/children/family knew what we were viewing online? Do you take steps to hide what you view online?
"Would not God search this out?
For He knows the secrets of the heart." - Psalm 44:21 (NKJV)
- Your thought life? Does God have influence in your thought life? What you meditate on grows!
"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." - Psalm 19:14 (NKJV)
- Your Conversations? Are your conversations filled with sexual comments and jokes? Do you talk about sexual situations with your buddies while you know it’s
"But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth." - Colossians 3:8 (NKJV)
Who and what are you allowing to influence you? In order to build anything with success, we first must possess the fear of the Lord.
Know Your Value.
Our second tool is knowing our value.
"Where value is not being established vulnerability will take its place." - Aaron Hansel
Q: Who determines your personal value? Why?
Pimps, predators, and the devil all prey on vulnerability.
- Capable of or susceptible to being wounded or hurt, as by a weapon.
- Open to moral attack, criticism, temptation, etc.
- Open to assault; difficult to defend
Value counterattacks vulnerability. Do you feel you are valuable to God? Are you valuable
to your family?
Discovering your value and self-worth is absolutely essential to overcoming rejection and pain.
"The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." - John 10:10 (NKJV)
Q: How are you pouring value into yourself?
Q: How are you pouring value into your family?
Q: How are you pouring value into your wife (if married)?
Q: How are you pouring value into your children (if you have children)?
You may know that you are valuable to God and to others, but do you believe it?
YOUR VALUE TO GOD
God's Word Says I am:
- God’s child – I Peter 1:23
- Forgiven of all my sins and washed in Christ’s blood – Ephesians 1:7, Hebrews 9:14,
Colossians 1:14, I John 1:9, 2:12
- A new creature – 2 Corinthians 5:17
- The temple of the Holy Spirit – I Corinthians 6:19
- Redeemed from the curse of the law – I Peter 1:18-19, Galatians 3:13
- Blessed – Galatians 3:9
- A saint – Romans 1:7, I Corinthians 1:2, Philippians 1:2
- Holy and without blame – I Peter 1:16, Ephesians 1:4
- One of the elect – Colossians 3:12, Romans 8:33
- Established to the end – I Corinthains 1:8
- Victorious – Revelations 21:7
- Set free – John 8:31-33
- Strong in the Lord – Ephesians 6:10
- Dead to sin – Romans 6:2,11, I Peter 2:24
- More than a conqueror – Romans 8:37
- Joint heirs with Christ – Romans 8:17
- Sealed with the Holy Spirit – Ephesians 1:13
- In Christ by His doing – I Corinthians 1:30
- Accepted in the Beloved – Ephesians 1:6
- Complete in Him – Colossians 2:10
- Crucified with Christ – Galatians 2:20
- Alive with Christ – Ephesians 2:5
- Free from condemnation – Romans 8:1
- Reconciled to God – 2 Corinthians 5:18
- Qualified to share in His inheritance – Colossians 1:12
- A fellow citizen with the saints, of the household of God – Ephesians 2:19
- Overtaken with blessings – Deuteronomy 28:2, Epesians 1:3
- The salt of the earth – Matthew 5:14
- The light of the world – Matthew 5:13
- The righteousness of God – 2 Corinthians 5:21, I Peter 2:24
- A partaker of His divine nature – 2 Peter 1:4
- Called of God – 2 Timothy 1:9
- Chosen – I Thessalonians 1:4, Ephesians 1:4, I Peters 2:9
- An ambassador for Christ – 2 Corinthians 5:20
- God’s workmanship, created in Christ for good works – Ephesians 2:10
- The apple of my Father’s eye – Deuteronomy 32:10, Psalm 17:8
- Being changed into His image – 2 Corinthians 3:18, Philippians 1:6
- Raised up and seated in heavenly places with Christ – Colossians 2:12,
- Beloved of God – Colossians 3:12, Romans 1:7, I Thessalonians 1:4
- Delivered from the power of darkness and translated into God’s kingdom –
- Made nigh by the Blood of Christ – Ephesians 2:13
- Saved by grace – Ephesians 2:5,8
- FREE – John 8:36, Galatians 5:1, 13, I Peter 2:16
- Hid with Christ in God – Colossians 3:3
God's Word Says I Have:
- All wisdom and understanding – Ephesians 1:8
- The Greater One in me because greater is He who is in me than he who is in the
world – I John 4:4
- The mind of Christ – Philippians 2:5, I Corinthians 2:16
- Access by one Spirit unto the Father – Hebrews 4:16, Ephesians 2:18
- Overcome the world – I John 5:4
- Everlasting life and will not be condemned – John 5:24, 6:47, 3:16, 17
- The power of the Holy Spirit to do the works that Jesus did – Mark 16:17, 18,
Luke 10:17, 19
- Died with Christ to the basic principles of this world – Colossians 2:20
God’s Word Says I Can:
- Do all things through Him – Philippians 4:13
- Come Boldly before His throne of grace – Hebrews 4:16
- Put on the full armor of God – Ephesians 6:13-17
- Walk in a manner worthy of my calling – Ephesians 4:1
- Make all my wants known to Him – Ephesians 4:6